REFLECTOR: Vortilions and/or VG's?

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Thu Jul 21 12:45:59 CDT 2005

The reason I took them off the wing is to try and get a handle on what
they cost me in cruise.  I feel I still need them on the canard for
takeoff as I am nearly always very nose heavy (350# front seat) on
takeoff and am NEVER anywhere near aft CG.  I agree that VGs might cause
a problem if they were only on the canard at aft CG, but I'm never in
that situation.  I think they are useful to prevent separation over the
elevator at the high deflections I need for nose heavy takeoff.
Elevator deflection increases the effective AoA of the canard as well as
changing the airfoil so the canard stalls at a lower incidence than it
would with no deflection.

I do appreciate your concern though ... Jim S.