REFLECTOR: Threaded hole strength

HYTEC45 at aol.com HYTEC45 at aol.com
Thu Jul 21 09:12:14 CDT 2005

In a message dated 7/21/2005 4:48:45 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
kufalk at wi.rr.com writes:

Now I am  going to put 2 or 3 hardpoints
along the aft edge to hold it in place from  underneath.  I am going to use
large thumbscrews that I can reach from  behind the panel.

O. K.  Instead of tapping the aluminum for the thread (or any thread),  use
the 1/4-20 bolts, and drill/tap/install in the aluminum 1/4-20  "Heli-Coil"
inserts.  This way you will have steel threads in  the aluminum that will be able
to handle the inserting and  removal of the bolts over time with out
stripping out.  If you don't and  you strip out the aluminum threads down the road,
you will be putting in  Heli-Coils anyway.  You can get these at most "good"
hardware stores,  or ask around if a "friend" (someone you use when you need
something) has a  set.

TEC