REFLECTOR: Strong Pitch Trim

Joe Ewen Jewen at Comporium.net
Mon Jul 18 01:00:22 CDT 2005

Tom,
Thanks for your reply.  May I ask what model you are flying?
Thanks,
Joe
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tom Martino
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 12:37 PM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Strong Pitch Trim

  I tried it and I did not like it.  It is a great system design and if it worked as intended there would be no doubt as to it's validity.  But here is the problem I ran into . and I tried it several different ways.  In fact, Alex Strong agreed with me on the problem.

  When you run your stick full fore or aft when it is trimmed (or even in neutral) . it does not "snap back" to the original position.  It gets hung up in the channel.  That's because you have "up pressure" trying to pull the carriage out of the track while at the same time spring pressure trying to move it fore or aft.

  I understand there is one Velocity user who loves it and has not had this trouble.  I had my installation looked at and I was doing it correctly . but it did not work out for me?

  By the way . I did have Alex design his motor-straight arm system for my aileron.  It has half the force of the trim spring.  I mounted it on the side of the fuselage and use it to move the aileron bell crank to a specific roll trim position.  I love it for roll trim (but it only involves in-out pressures, unlike the trim pitch).

  Tom