REFLECTOR: Strong Pitch Trim

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Sun Jul 17 11:37:33 CDT 2005

I tried it and I did not like it.  It is a great system design and if it
worked as intended there would be no doubt as to it's validity.  But
here is the problem I ran into ... and I tried it several different
ways.  In fact, Alex Strong agreed with me on the problem.

When you run your stick full fore or aft when it is trimmed (or even in
neutral) ... it does not "snap back" to the original position.  It gets
hung up in the channel.  That's because you have "up pressure" trying to
pull the carriage out of the track while at the same time spring
pressure trying to move it fore or aft.

I understand there is one Velocity user who loves it and has not had
this trouble.  I had my installation looked at and I was doing it
correctly ... but it did not work out for me?

By the way ... I did have Alex design his motor-straight arm system for
my aileron.  It has half the force of the trim spring.  I mounted it on
the side of the fuselage and use it to move the aileron bell crank to a
specific roll trim position.  I love it for roll trim (but it only
involves in-out pressures, unlike the trim pitch).

Tom