REFLECTOR: Wing Root Cooling

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Jul 15 23:12:35 CDT 2005

Al,

Thanks for the info on wing root cooling some time ago.  I was wondering
what you think of making the exit in the upper surface a door (flap.)  The
thought is that it could be regulated to control air flow and resulting
cooling.  Any opinions are welcome.

I think that is a good idea.  I gave it some thought and decided not to go
there as the first iteration.  Since my exit opening is 22",I built the exit
fairings to give structure to the upper surface; and shaped the fairings to
maintain attached flow and provide maximum cooling.  If they work well, I
may consider a controllable exit fairing at some later date.

Al