REFLECTOR: Pat Shea's Air filter

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 02:02:39 CDT 2005

Keith,

It's custom, but more like a three-off as in it took
three tries to get it right. The filter box design is
similar to Jean Prudhomme's on TVBF:

http://www.tvbf.org/gallery/?dir=engines%2Fplenum_jean_prudhomme

I didn't use his diaphragm design opting for a short
run of scat to the servo from the filter box instead.
Also, I'm pulling my induction air from the side of
one of my runners using scat again to connect to the
air filter box. Here's some good basic filter/plenum
box design info provided by Ellison:

http://www.ellison-fluid-systems.com/FAQS/inlet.htm

At first, I only had the induction flange (essentially
a fiberglass tube) sticking into the runner about
1/2". This didn't provide any ram at Vne (at least it
was neutral - no loss). Now I've got it sticking in
about 3" and I'm getting about 1" ram at Vne. That's
w/ a filter. I'm going to pull the filter out and see
how much of a ram penalty I'm paying for filtration.

Hope that helps, Pat