REFLECTOR: Canard Cover and cowl attachment system

Carruth, Joel L joel.l.carruth at lmco.com
Thu Jul 7 09:22:17 CDT 2005

I had the piano hinge setup on my previous RV-6A: one down both sides of
the cowl, two across the top, two on the bottom and two tiny ones on the
inside of the cowl inlets. The top & bottom were accessible only because
of the oil filler door and the exhaust exit point.

All hinge pins were tapered on the insertion end and had a loop on the
extraction end to provide an easy pull-point. For those that might enter
the prop arc, this also provided a place to latch it down.

I never had a problem with the piano hinges in the 200 hours I spent in
that airplane. The only cracking came around the exhaust fairing, but
this was due to the cowling design: too large a gap without internal
support to prevent flexing.

However, on the Velo, I'm not sure how one would access the top & bottom
hinges pins.  I'm guessing the top would be through the NACA scoops, but
what about the bottom?  Create an access door?

Joel Carruth
Lockheed Martin
JSF - Pilot System Software
W: (817) 763-4337