REFLECTOR: Painting with Awlgrip

Bob Jackson bobj at computer.org
Sun Jul 3 22:04:46 CDT 2005

Hello Ronnie,

It definitely does take some practice and some time getting used to spraying
an airplane period, and then on top of that, using AWLgrip.  I did paint
today and this is the first time I've been able to put three good coats on a
large piece without any runs, dry spots, or objectionable orange peel (at
least on first inspection).  Too bad the fuselage is the last major part
we're painting with AWLgrip!

Beyond getting used to it the biggest determinant for me is the light -- if
it's a small piece (hanging for example) and you can move it around, or a
bigger piece with great light from all angles, it's pretty easy to paint,
even with AWLgrip, if you take your time and constantly check to see if each
area just sprayed needs more or less paint.  You'll be able to tell whether
it's too dry, or just about to run.  You can't have too many shop lights
placed high, low and all around if you want to minimize the sand and repaint
cycles!

By the way, I said the other day you can always put down three coats, even
with runs, then just sand out the imperfections and come back later with a
final 'finish' coat.  I have done this successfully, but I should also
mention that the Airbus guy my partner talked to extensively (who'd have
thought the French could be so helpful?!?) about using AWLgrip said they
never do just one coat.  They think if you're going to sand and recoat, that
two light(er) finish coats is better than one heavy final coat.

The other thing I should say is that although it's expensive, AWLgrip has
outstanding self-leveling properties.  So, even though you may have to sand
out a few blemishes after some initial bad coats, you'll still end up with a
much flatter, smoother surface for the final coat then you would probably
ever get with 545 epoxy primer.  AWLgrip's a little expensive to use like
this as 'filler', but it does do an excellent job!

I paid closer attention to how much paint I was using today on the fuselage
and re-estimated the area painted.  It looks like I'm getting about 170 sq.
ft/gal when putting on three solid coats reduced 30%.  We've painted just
about everything now, several things a number of times, and although we are
not using AWLgrip on the bottom of the fuselage and lower sides (75 more sq
ft??) I think we've used a little over two gallons for everything else
(XLRG).

I was hoping for a little better weather, but I did get three coats on the
fuselage today.  It took me all day, and there was a rainstorm between each
coat (which I closely monitored on the weather channel's radar loops).  I
got started early and may have finished with only one storm delay, except
that although I thought I had left the gun spotlessly clean after the last
time, when I started my gun was dripping and sticking so I had to spend and
hour right off the bat re-cleaning the gun.  I guess I'll have to try your
paint stripper -- even my 'Naked Gun' cleaner requires too much brushing and
scrubbing, especially when you itching to get started because the
thunderstorms are moving in!  Despite the high humidity and interruptions, I
think the fuselage paint job may be a 'keeper' -- I'll know for sure in the
morning when I check everything out.  I'll send some photos.

Bob