REFLECTOR: Exterior paint

Joe Ewen Jewen at Comporium.net
Sun Jul 3 09:44:12 CDT 2005

Al,
I used Deltron (DBC) Olympic White top coat and Concept 2002 High Solids Polyurethane Clear coat.  I like base clear coats in general.  Shoot the base, if you have a defect wait 10 minutes, touch sand and spot the area.  When the base looks good shoot the clear (don't wait more than 24 hours.  If you make a mistake on the clear, a run for example, don't worry, come back tomorrow with 3M finishing film disks in a DA and take off runs, level orange peel etc.

The only problem I had was some lifting on the left upper wing behind the stake area.  Turns out it was not the paint,but the previous builder who apparently mixed a bad batch of aeropoxy (it never fully hardened-I found several other areas like that and repaired, but missed this one.)  Turns out the defect is where I will be installing wing root cooling for my oil cooler so it will be cut out anyway.  Current urethane clears are repairable so alterations and repairs can be made with no problem.

Dupont Chroma is also a very good line.  I preferred PPG due to local availability and I found PPGs data sheets were easier to navigate to than the Dupont info.  I would recommend the top coat/urethane clear system is easiest for a novice like myself.

Joe

----- Original Message -----
  From: Al Gietzen
  To: reflector
  Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 11:06 AM
  Subject: REFLECTOR: Exterior paint

  Anyone painted recently with PPG acrylic-urethane, 'Deltron' or 'Concept'?  A friend recently repainted his Lon-EZ and liked it.  The guys at the paint supply say the new formulations are both run and orange peel resistant - "hard to make a mistake" - Yeah, right.

  Great color selection, and it seems that if it is good enough for GM, Ford and Diamler-Chrysler, it ought to be good for a Velocity.

  Al