REFLECTOR: Gas temp

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Fri Jul 1 21:01:06 CDT 2005

Everybody's agreed that it's nice to have cold air (a good bit denser)
and cold fuel (denser, but not measurably denser by instruments at our
disposal).  The difference between warm and cold fuel is no way enough
to justify any effort at all to cool it - the exception being return
fuel from an automotive injection rail so as to minimize chances of
vaporization upstream of the pump.  We take what we get and deal with it
as best we can.  It isn't practical to attempt to alter what we get - it
will cost much more than any benefits.  Get some tables that define
precisely the variation of fuel density with temperature and calculate
the additional %BTU you would get from cooling your fuel by x* below
what it was when it came your way.  Are you talking about a certified
system?  They are all so grotesquely inefficient that cooling the charge
wouldn't change anything measurably.

Automotive type EFI is much more precise.  There are systems available
that you can adjust mixture per cylinder to get the best, most precise
fuel delivery possible, and it still doesn't make a significant
difference what your fuel temp is.

Tune what you've got as best you can or upgrade your delivery system ...
Jim  S.