REFLECTOR: Gas temp

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Jul 1 09:30:59 CDT 2005

Subject: REFLECTOR: Gas temp

I know some one out there know the answer to this . Fuel (Gas ) carries more
energy when it is chilled Right? So is it beneficial to chill you fuel
before  it enters the Fuel injection system? Would this increase HP.

Ron;

Probably no more HP, unless the engine is normally running too lean, but
more miles/gallon.  The power depends on mixture, and mixture is controlled
by feedback from the O2 sensor (typical automotive), or by the operator in
the typical airplane.  The same power will take a slightly lower volume of
fuel if the fuel is cold.  My old XJS has a fuel 'chiller' cooled by the
Freon from the AC compressor.

What you hope for is that the fuel from the storage tank is cold when you
fill up.

Al