REFLECTOR: Rudders on lower winglet

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 19:46:00 CST 2005

I have the long wing version also. Since I built my wings, there may be  some
differences in the prefab application.

I didn't really like the way the BIG lower winglet looked on the airplane,
it just seemed way out of proportion. I also did not want to lose any rudder
authority.

What I did, was take the rudders all the way to the top and bottom of the
winglet. I cut the lower winglet down to about 2" below the bottom surface of
the wing. I also angled the aft portion up at the original angle of the rudder.
 It just so happens that I have the same rudder surface area as was
originally in  the plans.

I now have a nice compromise of looks and lower wing protection, while
keeping the lower rudder angle (impact protection).  It should also act as  a small
droop tip/fence to keep flow from separating at the end of the wing. I
realize the amount is insignificant, but it sounded good to me and I like the
results.

Wiring away,    Kurt