REFLECTOR: Rudders on lower winglet

Dave Black dvblack at comcast.net
Tue Jan 25 18:04:51 CST 2005

> Hiroo,

> I have seen some photographs of Velocities that have rudders
> that extend to the lower portion of the winglet.  I have also
> seen some that stops at the wing bottom and the lower winglet
> is entirely fixed in place.
>
> What is the community consensus on this subject?

I have not flown my bird yet, but I have an opinion...

I've never heard complaints of insufficient rudder authority, so I am inclined
to believe larger rudders are not needed.

I've heard of lower winglets occasionally striking the ground (thus protecting
the rest of the wing). If the rudder extends into the lower winglet, it risks
being damaged in such a strike.

So I would recommend against the extended lower rudder. You could extend it to
the top of the winglet, though.

I do agree a full-length rudder would look nice, and extra rudder authority
couldn't be a bad thing.

Dave Black
Shortwing RG