REFLECTOR: 'Standardized' High Precautionary Approaches

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Tue Jan 25 12:25:52 CST 2005

Bob,
I flew a lot of those instructing at Kingsville.  We had a 9000' 150
kias, gear down high key and regs required aborting the approach at
500'.  However, in light of the fact that the last 500' is 90% of the
maneuver, we Marines cheated a little and went ahead on to touchdown.

In my Velocity 173FG I've had a lot of practice PAs, two actual flame
outs and a number of PAs with severe power degradation.  I've figured
out pretty much what works for me.
1.  My best glide speed, from what idle / partial belly board tests I've
done seems to be around 90 kias.  I would use 100+ kias into the wind
and 80 or less downwind (wind has a HUGE effect on glide range, and
adjusting speed is really important.  Several carefully documented tests
(near home of course) from say, 10,000' down to pattern altitude with
the engine actually shut down is IMO the only way to get reliable glide
data for MY airplane.  A couple of passes shut down will enable me to
determine how much belly board it takes to cancel idle thrust, and then
I can simulate engine out with acceptable accuracy.
2.  My experience has been that a 3-key HPA is a luxury I'm not going to
get in the real world.  It's OK as a starting point for training, but
being proficient at 360* approaches at idle doesn't really prepare me
for an engine failure from gawd knows where.
3.  Success in this endeavor happens on final approach.  Hitting high
key and middle key don't prove a lot (particularly in light of the fact
that they're only relevant in the unlikely event your failure occurs
*very* close to home.  The deal is to intercept the glide slope
somewhere, at some airspeed, and from that point, energy management is
*everything*.  It takes some practice to figure out S-turns and
particularly high-dipping as energy management tools.
4.  I owe my success in actual circumstances to my earlier decision to
"practice like I play".  I always shoot a practice PA all the way to
touchdown.  It's the only way to learn or evaluate energy management
skills.  Low passes ensure that my first realistic PA will be my first
*actual* one.  I don't want that.

Flying a tight pattern, chopping power at the 180 and treating every
approach as a simulated engine failure has a lot to recommend it.

What works for me ... Jim S.