REFLECTOR: 24 volts vs. 12 volts

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Mon Jan 24 11:25:28 CST 2005

Not true, an alternator requires cooling for the heat produced in direct

relationship to the watts produced.  12V x 50A = 600 watts = 24V x 25A.  If
you

have the same amperage output at 24V you have a 120W alternator.

Jim

I think the cooling is not a function of watts out, but of the watts of loss
in the windings; I^2 x R.  I don't know what all else changes in the alt
design for 24v, like number of windings; but I'd expect to get more output
power from a 24v setup than for 12v for the same cooling requirement.

Al