REFLECTOR: leak detection

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Sun Jan 23 14:07:18 CST 2005

I've detected leaks in a couple of ways. One is to get some Dr. Scholls
spray on foot powder and spray on the sump and go fly a while. It leaves
an easily visible blue stain. More recently, I reduce a vacuum cleaner
hose down so I can clamp it on the sump tank, reverse the connection to
the vacuum cleaner and pressurize the tank with the shop-vac. Soap
bubbles show up the leak. I then reverse the shop-vac connection to
normal (suction) connection, put the suction that the vac is capable of
(several in Hg) to the tank and paint epoxy on nice and thick over the
leaky area and let it be sucked into the leak. Low viscosity epoxy like
MGS works best obviously. I had one very large leak that I roughed up
and covered with a patch of wet BID and also applied shop-vac suction
while it cured.
Worked OK for me ... Jim S.