REFLECTOR: Wayne Lanza's reply to comments RE: Composite Design Power Panels

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Jan 19 21:48:54 CST 2005

><?smaller>1.) The access to the panel is from above, the panel is made to
>be mounted<?/smaller>
><?smaller>at the bottom of the instrument panel, which puts most of it
>innacessable<?/smaller>
><?smaller>after everything is installed for trouble shooting or adding or
>removing<?/smaller>
><?smaller>equipment.  Access should be from below for the most common
>items like<?/smaller>
><?smaller>connecters.<?/smaller>
>
>Reply to #1- The panel was designed to be accessed from above with a short
>service loop in the wiring. This allows access to all wiring by removing a few
>screws and sliding the panel out in front of you. Crawling under the panel is
>a ridiculous way to get to anything...

My Bonanza and a friends Mooney both had access to the switch panel from
below.  Very convenient for quick access.  You could also remove the panels
but if you just want to check voltage on one circuit the well labeled and
easy access was appreciated.  I guess I've been spoiled by a real panel.

><?smaller>2.) There are 50+- unlabeled individual connectors. A nightmare
>to<?/smaller>
><?smaller>troubleshoot.  They should be indivually labeled on the panel,
>or there<?/smaller>
><?smaller>should be a few cables with multi-plugs for you to tie
>into.  The plugs<?/smaller>
><?smaller>can be labeled and a pin-out provided for easy locating and
>access to<?/smaller>
><?smaller>individual lines.<?/smaller>
>
>Reply to #2- The only terminals that you connect to are on the two 16 point
>terminal strips (all clearly marked), the master switch and spare breaker.
>I used screw terminals to simplify connections. For most builders the crimping
>and building of multiconductor connectors is a challenge and a weak point in
>the wiring. You can see and feel the security of a screw terminal plus the
>fact
>that a pin connector would have to be large to handle some of the high current
>circuits.

There isn't one label on any of the connectors on my panel.  Maybe they
have been added? Screw terminals don't simplify,  multiple connectors
do.  How many GPS's can you buy with radio shack terminial strips, none.
How many audio panels come with cheapo terminal strips, none.  All high
quality aviation electronics comes with multiple connectors.  Its simpler
to assemble and much simpler for later access.  Does the new Approach Stack
System use terminal strips?  NOT! And the comment about high current is
humorous.

><?smaller>3.) The breakers are the  non-switch type.  Stupid!!!  I want to
>be able<?/smaller>
><?smaller>to isolate individual items on the buss, using breaker-switches
>is the<?/smaller>
><?smaller>ideal way in my opinion.  Don't get non-switch breakers.<?/smaller>
>
>Reply to #3- I used the non switchable breakers for two reasons. One was to
>get the most bang for the buck into the product, the same panel with pull type
>breakers would be physically larger and cost twice as much. Reason #2 was
>that if you look at how the panel is typically used, all but a few
>breakers are
>either on switched circuits or are connected to things that have switches like
>avionics and trim motors. STUPID is a remark of opinion here, not expertise...

Switch Breakers that are the same size and format as the non -switch type
that are used on the Lanza panel are available.  Yes they are a little more
expensive, yes they provide more bang for your buck.  Your Reason #2 is
just plain false.  There is ONE master radio switch,  there are 6 breakers
on that switch. How does one remove power to the GPS but keep their comm
radios powered up?  With the Lanza panel, your SOL.

><?smaller>4.) Use lighted engraved switches, or some way to illuminate the
>panel.<?/smaller>
><?smaller>The power panel is a big black hole at night and even with a
>flash light,<?/smaller>
><?smaller>because of the type of ink used for labeling, its hard to find
>the right<?/smaller>
><?smaller>switch.<?/smaller>
>
>Reply to #4- I would gladly use engraved, lighted switches and lettering but
>again it would drive up the cost and for what? Many have used simple panel
>illuminators to see the switches and fly at night just fine.

Like I said, even with illumination its hard to see them.  Bouncing around
in flight trying to find the landing light or fuel pump switch is very
difficult.  If you had used reflective paint to paint the names with it
would have helped a lot.  No cost issue there, just common sense.

Personally I would not recommend the factory power panel.  Sorry if that
offends any of the thin skinned list members.  Honest talk and critique
about hardware is a virtue in most aviation circles.

Scott

"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin