REFLECTOR: 24 volts vs. 12 volts

Joe jewen at comporium.net
Sun Jan 16 22:13:59 CST 2005

Doug,
No real downside if all the components you use are rated for 24v (radios etc.)  You will need speed brake and trim actuators for 24v or build a voltage divider into those circuits.  I was going to go 24v myself, but since I am doing an auto conversion finding a 24v starter and/or 24v ECU made it easier to stay 12v.

Be careful with your statement about wires being smaller by 1/2, wire size to current capability is not linear.  The wire length also has to be included into wire sizing so that there is no more than a 0.5v drop on 12v circuits and 1.0v on 24v circuits.  AC 43-13 is a good source for sizing wire in aircraft applications.

One possible downside, if you want 110 vac power for say a laptop computer, you might have a hard time finding a 24V inverter.

Joe