REFLECTOR: High temps

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Sun Jan 16 20:40:31 CST 2005

I am running a LIO-360-C1E and even after a lot of work on the baffling
have CHTs around 375 - 400 with occasional excursions to 425 which I try
to correct for.  From the beginning, my oil temp never ever budged off
of 180, but more recently I have had oil temps up to 210 - 220 on
occasion.  I think part of this might have to do with the firewall oil
cooler which exhausts right into the plenum - the high pressure air for
cooling the cylinders.  There can't possibly be much air flow through
that cooler, and I regard it as a significant design defect.  At some
juncture (after I get the engine running again and the plane annualed) I
am going to exhaust it to outside air under the cowl.

Glad I'm not the only one with high CHTs ... Jim S.