REFLECTOR: Off Topic - Internet problem

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Fri Jan 14 11:10:51 CST 2005

While at the PC-flightsystems booth a while ago, I was looking at one of
their nice EFIS displays.  I think it was PC-flight Systems.  Anyway, they
had it so you could flip the tablet to be either portrait or landscape
configuration.  Must be an angle sensor, and while it rebooted to the new
config, you could see a Windows CE desktop, but it was configured to be
locked down and only allow that single app to run.

I seem to recall there is a way to hack a CE system to get you to the
desktop ... but I digress.  I do not know how tightly the IE API is
integrated with a supposed embedded OS like WinCE.  The exposure of those
API's to the untrusted world is what I worry about.  All it would take is a
help document rendered in HTML to expose the common exploits.  How dangerous
could a help document be?  Well, depends on where it came from.  Does your
particular vendor allow third parties to add software, as well as
documentation.  Does the system have a compact flash card slot?  How about
USB slot?  The software might pass certification muster, but the
documentation may not be considered as a risk.  That said, does anyone even
know if there are FAA certified systems that run on Windows CE?

I personally do not feel that any flight critical item should be based on a
monolithic operating system.  I would rather have a very small microkernel
... one approved by the FAA.  Could be open source.  The vendor would then
add modules with the satisfaction that the microkernel could'nt be
compromised.  Of course the vendor would have to certify his own modules.
It would speed the testing of the software to the FAA's satisfaction.  The
other alternative is to roll a psudo OS from scratch for every unique
product, but history has shown that this generates far more bugs than
code-reuse.  The upshot of this method is that the bugs are largely unkown
(security through obscurity), and therefore are not as maliciously
manipulated.  No viruses that could affect a monoculture OS that drives the
majority of the aviation fleets' avionics.

Just my opinion.
My plane is very automated.  For each electrical device, there are
requirements.  If it is a non-essential device, then I should be able to
turn off it's power and fly merrily along.  If it's considered an essential
device, then it must have a backup.  If the backup is an electrical device,
then it must have its own dedicated redunant power (think UPS), and may not
be based off similar technology as the one it is backing up.  Indeed, if it
requires some inputs from the outside world, then it better well have it's
own set of sensors.

My Autronic EFI system takes crank position from a collar with targets.  My
backup system takes pulses off the tachometer gears.  I would expect an
alternator belt thrashing about would take out my backup sensor wires.