REFLECTOR: Power Panel

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Jan 12 17:32:50 CST 2005

I have a factory panel in my plane and would not buy another one unless
the following issues are resolved.

1.) The access to the panel is from above, the panel is made to be mounted
at the bottom of the instrument panel, which puts most of it innacessable
after everything is installed for trouble shooting or adding or removing
equipment.  Access should be from below for the most common items like
connecters.

2.) There are 50+- unlabeled individual connectors. A nightmare to
troubleshoot.  They should be indivually labeled on the panel, or there
should be a few cables with multi-plugs for you to tie into.  The plugs
can be labeled and a pin-out provided for easy locating and access to
individual lines.

3.) The breakers are the  non-switch type.  Stupid!!!  I want to be able
to isolate individual items on the buss, using breaker-switches is the
ideal way in my opinion.  Don't get non-switch breakers.

4.) Use lighted engraved switches, or some way to illuminate the panel.
The power panel is a big black hole at night and even with a flash light,
because of the type of ink used for labeling, its hard to find the right
switch.

Scott