REFLECTOR: OIL SEPARATOR

Rich Guerra rich at rguerra.com
Sun Jan 9 23:59:05 CST 2005

Tom,

You can try the following:  Believe it or not, we
used the Aircraft Spruce Homebuilders' Oil air
separator and modified it.  In it's unmodified
form, I have heard others say it is useless.
(Looking at its innards, I can see why)  We took
one, cut the back plate open, added in fine brass
mesh (30 X 28 brass mesh ordered from
Mcmaster-Carr ( http://www.mcmaster.com/ ).  A
section wide enough to fit inside the housing was
cut and folded over on itself to make 2 layers.
The "S" shape mesh segment is wedged into
position and, by virtue of the fit, is held in
place.) The intake and output ports where
reversed.  Believe it or not, it works amazingly
well!  I get virtually no oil on my belly!  A
friend of mine just installed on on his Cozy in
Santa Fe and cured his problem too.  There are a
couple of photos of this modification of the
stock separator on the "Engine" section on my
website,
http://www.rguerra.com/velocity/  (about 10 rows down).  Costs maybe $50 total.

Aircraft-Spruce Homebuilders Oil breather/separator P/N 10570  $38.85

Also see a nice alternative written by Don White
located on the TVBF.org archive:
http://www.tvbf.org/docs/AirOilSeparator.doc

I think he's right: the screen is the secret to
making any of these work well.  I believe that
one of the Bingelis books has a diagram of a
cylindrical oil breather/separator that looks
very similar to an M-20 that also has as a
primary component a screen.

Hope this helps!

Rich
Velocity XL RG N724X