REFLECTOR: Landing Light Replacement

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Sun Jan 9 18:22:17 CST 2005

<... downside is that it shines on the back of the front strut ... casts
a shadow ...>
Only if you choose to install it behind the front strut.  It's an
experimental airplane so you're allowed to offset it if you like.
Not sure I would care.  Of course where I did most of my flying, night
vision was paramount so the use of landing lights was "... vigorously
discouraged ...".  I try to remember to turn mine on so as to "be seen"
in crowded traffic patterns and perhaps to get a little advance notice
that I'm about to hit a deer on the runway, but mostly I forget.  My
experience has been that airports that have lights are easy enough to
land on and navigate without lights..  I've very rarely felt I needed
them for my own use except when landing on exceptionally wide runways.

But that's just me ... Jim S.