REFLECTOR: MODIFICATIONS

Herb Sanders hsanders at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 5 14:09:20 CST 2005

Doug, Burt designed and recommended cuffs for the VariEze and most of us who
were flying put them on, about 1979 IIRC. Later testing showed that the only
part of the cuff doing any good was the sharp edge that turned the outflow
back over the wing, so Burt recommended we take off the cuffs and install
the vortilons. As far as I know, vortilons are all that is now recommended.
If I ever get my Velo finished, I will run vortilons and perhaps try the
trailing edge fences. I would not put on the cuffs,(but do put on vortilons)
but since you have the narrow chord wing, you should use the most
conservative cg limit. Just my opinion. Herb Sanders