REFLECTOR: Re: Statics & Dynamics - Center of Gravity

Jorge Bujanda jbujanda at dslextreme.com
Tue Jan 4 19:43:50 CST 2005

Keith/Tom

Excuse my ignorance but I have much to learn about airplanes and
aerodynamics. For those like me who only were exposed to physics in high
school, I want to try to have this one clear in terms I can understand.
Is the following a true statement based on your comments?

When abruptly disturbed, the structure formed by two olives in the
middle of a skewer hanging by a thread from the center of gravity is
more stable, or more prone to be returned to its original position, than
the structure of the same two olives (same mass) located one at each end
of the skewer, for any given disturbing force? In other words, mass
closer to the CG is better than distant from the CG?
Please clarify. Thanks

Regards,
Jorge Bujanda
XL FG
Palmdale, CA

"Make your best case... not the best case."
"Spare the noise... convince through silence."