REFLECTOR: MODIFICATIONS

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Sun Jan 2 12:55:52 CST 2005

PART ONE

I re-checked with the D.A.R. that issued my Airworthiness Certificate
... and he verified (a second time) that I CAN make major changes to my
plane WITHOUT having to have another Airworthiness Inspection.

He outlines the regs and said this is widely misunderstood.  Hey, I am
just going with what I'm told to do.  I don't have a dog in this fight
but I am sure happy my flight Operating Limitations (issued by him)
gives me the authority.

He also said it is WISE to change things (like W&B) if more accurate
numbers become available.

PART II

That brings me to Part 2 of my concern.  I am using the CG envelope that
other Velocity Owners are using.  My question was not where to find the
actual envelope ... but rather the factors that went into finding it.
In doing so, I could determine if the conventional envelope will serve
me with IO-540 heavier engine (hanging 7 inches longer than an IO-360) -
which puts my engine center of mass 3.5 inches aft of the small engine.

In other words ... all CG envelopes are based on datums, empty weights,
arms and Center of Lift.  The idea is to surround the empty weight CG,
within safe limits - while not get too far off of the center of lift -
this is all just math.  But in order to do the math - data is needed.

That is what I meant when I said I couldn't find any data in Velocity's
published material.  I would think that the more info published, the
better job builders could do.  For example ... has anyone ever tested
the gear legs to a certain weight that breaks them upon a simulated
landing impact?  When is beefier gear needed?

I realize e are in an experimental market ... but why re-invent the
wheel every time we make alterations?  I am one who likes to take
previously proven numbers and build from there.

If I could see W&B data used by Velocity, showing center of lift, etc.
that would give me some of the info I need to move my envelope for my
specific plane.  I am suspecting my safe envelope would be similar to
other Elite RGs ... but the extra weight in the back would no doubt have
an effect.

My mission is to do a safe and effective job.  If that means major
alterations to my Operating Manual - so be it.  I'd rather go through
paperwork than wreckage.