REFLECTOR: Hydraulic switch for gear doors

Jeff Clough jclough at gci.net
Mon Feb 28 19:20:32 CST 2005

OK folks...gotta question for ya......I recently reworked my correctly
operating hydraulic retract system to correct some poor workmanship
(Mine)....I also wanted to move the gear down dump handle. When all was
said and done I wound up reversing the connections on the hydraulic
switch which closes the gear doors. (I didn't THINK it mattered) Well,
it seems this switch may act a  bit like a diode in an electrical
circuit in that when pressure is applied to retract the gear, the nose
gear doors start to close before the switch is contacted...like there is
some leak of hydraulic pressure/fluid through the switch in this
direction....did not happen before when the system was working but
plumbed differently...before I get myself all oily and try to reverse
the plumbing (I have the old style location for this switch deep in the
center console)...is this going to fix this problem?  Anybody seen
similar actions when the switch is plumbed with the high pressue side
different than plans? The switch plunger  does not appear to be sticking
....it  slides in and out easily......
  Guess I am going to get all oily anyway....just wondering      Jeff
Clough