REFLECTOR: fuel feed - my solutions

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Mon Feb 28 16:51:12 CST 2005

Ahhhh - I don't buy it.  I've seen too many instances of "It looks good on paper" - and have "it" behave differently in the field.  Install the vent per the recommended schematic - run the engine at take off power - block the primary vent ... and then tell me the engine won't run properly because of an alternate vent check-valve with a 0.5 psi cracking pressure.  Tit-for-Tat ... "I would welcome less sweeping, unsupported scientific theories ... unless backed by field studies proving they are correct".  Engineering analysis often involves field trials to support theories on paper.  I don't understand what is so "magical" or critical of that "momentary" moment where the fuel vent system is blocked to the point where the alternate vent with the in-line check valve is caused to open.  0.5 psi is nothing.  The engine fuel pump(s) often pull fuel at less than zero psi head pressure - such as when the aircraft is pointing downhill (in a Velocity) or uphill in a Cherokee.
I'm reminded of my Calculus professor who stated unequivocally, "I can prove to you, on paper, that it is impossible to walk from one side of the room to the other.  To reach any destination, one must walk half-way ... and than half of remaining distance ... and then half of that remaining distance ... and so on.  And since there is always one-half of a remaining distance, it is impossible to reach your destination."  Mathematically, he's right.  It looks good on paper!
My thoughts.
SB