REFLECTOR: fuel feed - my solutions

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Sun Feb 27 21:16:48 CST 2005

<... 1 atmosphere versus vacuum will open nearly any check valve ...>
*Of course* a vacuum will open a check valve.  Nobody's arguing that.
The (false) implication from the factory, etc. is that the head pressure
of the fuel gravity feeding the fuel pump would open it, which it
clearly would *not*.  The fuel pump would clearly *suck* it open, but
that would put an underpressure at the pump inlet.

I guess it was on another list that we went into so much detail around
vapor lock which is not a real issue here (unless somebody is interested
in a recirculating MPFI engine (auto conversion)).  However, if you have
a vented sump tank, pretty much any check valve alive would prevent
gravity flow to the sump, and you would be left with < 5 gal usable
fuel.  Actually, you'd probably be under 3 gal and clueless as to the
actual amount you had by the time you figured out that the low-sump
indication was for real).

I think it's a recipe for disaster and you won't see it coming ... Jim S.