REFLECTOR: Insufficient filitering of oil

John Cervini john at johnsonlane.com
Sat Feb 26 21:44:17 CST 2005

I have a Lyc IO-540 with 50 hrs on the top overhaul, 1150 TT overall.  I
decided to have the bottom overhauled.
We cracked it open and the engine seemed to be gritty - like valve grinding
compound was in the case.  (Oil has been changed every 10 hours since Top
overhaul)  We looked at the 50 hr cylinders and there were signs of wear
already.  I cut the filter about every 10 hrs since the new top and I never
saw metal, just normal dark patterns.  I have a firewall mounted filter
(Champion) and the Airwolf AFC-K009 www.airwolf.com (filter kits) - this is
a remote mount oil filter kit.  Oil pump impellers are new.  Oil passages
are clean, pickup tube screen checked clean.

Indications point to insufficient filtering of the oil. I am suspecting the
adapter mounted to the oil filter accessory housing is somehow partially
bypassing the filter.

Any using the Airwolf product or have ideas about this?

John Cervini
N444GX
XL-RG flying