REFLECTOR: CLEAN SPEED OR JUST SPEED? [heur]

Greg Poole gpoole at zeta.org.au
Thu Feb 24 20:40:43 CST 2005

Sheez Tom - you're getting  pretty prickly!
I think you have got pretty much all anyone could provide in answer to your
question. You say you are not interested in speed (but obviously are by
installing an IO540 in a std fuse) and then ask the same question (how much
speed...?)

Less drag = greater aerodynamic efficiency = more speed.

This has already been said by others, and a potential extra 5 kts has been
indicated by Scott as a likely benefit of installing them (...what's wrong
with cruising at 205 kts at the same 75% fuel burn you quoted?)

So, it appears if you are NOT interested in using less fuel, not interested
in going faster BUT WANT an increase in gear extension speed, a reduction of
the risk of gear doors departing and going through your prop .....are not
worried about the cleaner look of the underside of your bird from the ground
with no gear doors on then....NO gear doors are not necessary.

Now; your turn; please list any or all the fast flight mods you have adopted
besides the high cube Lycoming to get this result....I am very green on the
ground just hearing of your "problem"

;^)

Greg in Sydney.