REFLECTOR: CLEAN SPEED OR JUST SPEED?

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Wed Feb 23 23:29:06 CST 2005

Help me out here guys ... I am test flying ... getting more than 200 knots (indicated) at 75% power (and yes, my airspeed indicator, pitot and static system has been calibrated by Denver Avionics).

This speed is without main gear doors and inspection plates on the underside of the wings.

Naturally, I want to cover up the wing bolt holes ... but what about gear doors?

This may sound silly ... but if I'm getting this much speed now, do I need them?

Is there a reason (other than speed) to have them?

Any feedback willl be most appreciative.

Tom Martino
N173EX