REFLECTOR: Aerobatics: Non center line rudder

Alex Balic alex157 at direcway.com
Tue Feb 22 12:00:21 CST 2005

MessageHi Terry-
About the aileron roll maneuver - you need to think about the difference in
lift points on the canard vs. the standard fixed wing- if you see these as
arrows pointing straight up from the fuselage, it is easier to understand -
normally these forces are fighting gravity- in the case of the standard
there is a single large lift vector centered right around the center of
mass, on the canard, there are two lift vectors one in front, and one behind
the center of mass. when you flip the standard up side down, all you need to
do it change the angle of attack, and the lift vector goes through the floor
instead of the top of the fuselage. on the velocity, you can not change the
angle of attack to negative, because it is not set up to have a negative
angle of attack, so even a simple aileron roll will be more like a barrel
roll because the lift vector of the canard will not go negative- it is just
like going through an aileron roll with constant back pressure on the stick
of a standard planform aircraft- so if you are not careful, when you roll
180 and hesitate because the nose is not going where you think it will, then
it tends to perform more of a split S.  The Berkut company had their
demonstrator doing a lot of interesting things (before it crashed) it could
do loops, and some rolls too, but the roll rate was probably double of the
Velocity, so they could get away with more.
Anyway, best to make some friends in the RV community so you can go out on
Saturday morning and get your fix- that is pretty much what I have done!! I
can't really think of any 4 place that beats the Velocity in cross country
comfort- even though the Lancair is faster, it is not as roomy or stable or
quiet......

Alex