REFLECTOR: Rudder Actiion

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Tue Feb 22 11:22:34 CST 2005

I responded off the list to a question about limited rudder travel (he was only getting about 1").

1 - First place I would look is make sure the end of the rudder nyloflow where it goes through the firewall is glued down (roughen the wall of the nyloflow with 80 grit sand paper then epoxy with flox it to the firewall).  The manual doesn't mention doing this.  If not tied down this allows the conduit to move and you will lose some rudder travel.
2 - Install pulleys like the ones at the firewall to the exit of the cable at the wing root.
3 - Make sure the cables aren't slipping in the nicopress crimps.
4 - Adjust the slack out of the cables so that the rudders start moving as soon as you press on the rudder pedals.

Mine work GREAT!!!  Great rudder action (4") and brakes too.  And it is pretty much installed like the manuals except for 1 & 2 above.

Ronnie Brown
173 Elite RG