REFLECTOR: FUEL FEED

KeithHallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Mon Feb 21 14:11:56 CST 2005

Chuck,
I don't have the reason from the original source, but a forward vent line would be difficult to run neatly so that it had a good, constant slope from the tank to the top of the firewall.  It would probably have to be run across the inside of the back window to have enough slope to positively drain towards the tank when the plane is in climb attitude.  Not too good.  If the line can't be properly routed, it would be blocked by the fuel "trapped" in the vent, so no advantage would be realized.

There are airplanes without forward vents that feed fuel from both strakes without difficulty.  This tends to suggest that a forward vent is not necessary.

All of this tends to emphasize how important the routing of fuel and vent lines can be.  The portion of the vent system which could be below the fuel surface elevation at any likely aircraft attitude needs to have enough slope so that it cannot act as a plumbing trap!

Keith