REFLECTOR: PROP STRIKES

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Mon Feb 21 08:37:37 CST 2005

My prop is 64.56 inches.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin Ream [mailto:robinream at earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 6:51 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: PROP STRIKES

Hello Tom,

    How long is the prop you're turning?

Robin

========================

	----- Original Message -----

	From: Tom Martino <mailto:tmartino at troubleshooter.com>

	To: reflector at www.tvbf.org

	Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 7:40 AM

	Subject: REFLECTOR: PROP STRIKES

	Is the potential for prop strikes present in all Velocities?  Or am I just more susceptible due to my airframe-engine combo?

	 I find with the short fuselage (Elite) and a big engine (IO-540), I can not rotate much on takeoff.  (I tested it with prop at lowest point, and tilted the nose up).  I can only rotate 5-degrees.

	 It is not as shallow as you may think.  After finding this out I flew my other planes ... and found that I seldom, if ever, rotate more than 5-degrees anyway.

	However ... it is a concern.  So far I have not had a problem - either taking off or landing.

	My MT 4-blade prop can only be shortened another ½ inch - so I doubt that will make much of a difference.

	If this just a risk we all live with?  Or just some of us?  Or just me?

	(The good news is ... with that airframe-engine combo ... I can attain 200 knots indicated ... at less than 75% power ... I suspect I could blow through it at will at 75% power.)

	Any info is always appreciated!

	Tom Martino

  _____