REFLECTOR: PROP STRIKES

Robin Ream robinream at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 21 07:50:52 CST 2005

Hello Tom,

    How long is the prop you're turning?

Robin
========================
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tom Martino
  To: reflector at www.tvbf.org
  Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 7:40 AM
  Subject: REFLECTOR: PROP STRIKES

  Is the potential for prop strikes present in all Velocities?  Or am I just more susceptible due to my airframe-engine combo?

   I find with the short fuselage (Elite) and a big engine (IO-540), I can not rotate much on takeoff.  (I tested it with prop at lowest point, and tilted the nose up).  I can only rotate 5-degrees.

   It is not as shallow as you may think.  After finding this out I flew my other planes . and found that I seldom, if ever, rotate more than 5-degrees anyway.

  However . it is a concern.  So far I have not had a problem - either taking off or landing.

  My MT 4-blade prop can only be shortened another ½ inch - so I doubt that will make much of a difference.

  If this just a risk we all live with?  Or just some of us?  Or just me?

  (The good news is . with that airframe-engine combo . I can attain 200 knots indicated . at less than 75% power . I suspect I could blow through it at will at 75% power.)

  Any info is always appreciated!

  Tom Martino