REFLECTOR: WANTED: Acro contacts

Alex Balic alex157 at direcway.com
Sun Feb 20 00:01:07 CST 2005

MessageHey Terry,
Welcome to the reflector!
About the velocity doing aerobatics, the canard design in general, and the
Velocity in particular does not lend itself well to any negative G maneuvers
due to the load being shared by both the wing and the canard, in most other
planforms, the wing does all of the carrying, so if you want to go inverted,
you just need to fly the wing at a positive angle of attack with the ground.
If you try a roll with the velocity, you might pull it off, some have, but
chances are, as soon as you go inverted, you will find that there  isn't
enough down elevator to keep the nose level, and the canard is going to pull
you really hard toward the center of the earth, and you will end up doing an
un-commanded split-s.  If you like doing Aerobatics, even Saturday morning
style, you would be better off in an RV which is a blast to fly that way.