REFLECTOR: -Preventing Drafts

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Fri Feb 18 06:31:56 CST 2005

Chuck,

I misunderstood where you were sealing your nose gear tube.  I thought that you were doing your rubber boot trick on the top of the keel where the elevator tube goes through, which is where I was suggesting putting the cloth boot.  I'll have to take a second look at the area you showed in your photo for a rubber boot.  Good idea.

I have the air dam also.  I have the big hatch that spans from just in front of the windscreen up to within 6" of the nose, so the canard air dam mates with the underside of the hatch in my configuration--excellent place for air leakage.  Certainly not an original trick, but I got a good seal by stacking up layer (s) of silastic on top of the dam, covering the silastic with a strip of Saran wrap, then putting the hatch back on snug, but not tight.

The next day, I removed the hatch, zipped off the Saran wrap and had a perfect conforming air dam seal to my hatch cover when I tightened down the hatch.

Chuck