REFLECTOR: Franklin Oil Leaker

michalk michalk at awpi.com
Thu Feb 17 15:10:57 CST 2005

Richard Ring wrote:
> I have a SRG Franklin/IVO with 3hours and 15 flights. First I had high
> oil temps(+250) on climb out and would not cool.
> I went through all archives and mods back 1995 and made all changes. I
> now have oil temps below 250 if I dont exceed
> 24 MP/2400 rpm. Each flight results in dripping oil on the floor before
> I can get out of airplane. Oil looks  like its coming from
> the fuel pump and alternator plate. Iam on my third set of gskts and
> still have the problem. The oil may be comming from
> the the distributing zone (air intake that carb bolts to) it has 2 long
> bolts that have no seal that I can tell.
>
> After five months of fighting this engine I guess Iam begging for help.
> My Ft. Collins Franklin dealer doesnt answer his phone.
>
> Richard Ring

Is your case breather tube clear?  Remove your oil filler cap, and blow
through it.

I assume you have the new vane style fuel pump?  And you said it's also
leaking by the alternator pad.  The Alternator pad is a sealed bearing,
if I recall.  I can only think that high case pressures are causing this.

Are you leaking any oil past the crank seal?