REFLECTOR: Franklin Oil Leaker

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Thu Feb 17 11:18:08 CST 2005

Richard,
Happy to hear that you are flying.  Check the plug on the pilot side of
the engine.  Mine had loosened up and I couldn't find it until it got so
loose that an 8" pool of oil appeared.
I have observed oil inside my intake manifold, but never seen it leak
from there.
250F is high for the oil.  What temp are you getting for cruise?  On hot
days, I limit my climb to 500 ft/min and the oil stays below 220F.  I
have installed a marine bilge blower in the exit air duct.  I mainly use
this while taxiing to keep the oil temp down, but infrequently I will
use it when climbing when all else fails.  I find the cooling problem is
worse when departing a 4000' airport as compared to one at 1000' or
less.

John