REFLECTOR: FUEL FEED & Vents

KeithHallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Wed Feb 16 22:13:00 CST 2005

Scott,

Your point is well taken, but I think Jim has an excellent point regarding
the sump tank vent.  It seems that it's much more likely to hurt than to
help.  I personally (after careful consideration) will install a
quarter-turn valve in the sump vent line, below the vent manifold.  That
valve will be closed once the sump tank is full.  That way the fuel pump can
suck from the strake tanks through the sump tank, should the need ever
arise.  I have never been able to identify a situation in which the sump
vent would do anything good for you (once the sump tank is filled the first
time).  Anyone got a scenario to the contrary?

Having an alternate vent (check valve into the system from the cabin) might
well be a good idea, provided that the cracking pressure of the check valve
is low enough that the fuel vaporization problem isn't experienced in the
case of a plugged main vent.  I have never seen any information on the
cracking pressure and flow capacity of the check valves that have been
installed for this purpose - does anyone have such information for their
check valve?  I suspect that most won't work as the builder imagined.
Anyone have some test data to share?

Keith Hallsten