REFLECTOR: FUEL FEED

SlvEgl99 at aol.com SlvEgl99 at aol.com
Wed Feb 16 19:56:54 CST 2005

My XL, which I built at the factory under the builder's assistance proram
has a vent from the top rear corner of each main and one from top center  of the
sump, all terminating in a mainfold mounted 18" or so above the sump  on the
rear bulkhead. From the manifold there is one line terminating in a check
valve designed to provide a vent in the event the primary vent becomes clogged,
just as Scott B. says. The main vent then goes to the top of the fuselage and
then is turned in a gooseneck to exit at the bottom of the fuselage.

Never a problem with venting or with siphoning fuel, and only an occasional
issue with uneven feed, which I attribute to leaking fuel caps.

I agree with Scott B. That is re-engineer stuff at your own risk. What is
published in the builder's manual is generally pretty damn good and I would say
if you vary from that you are in fact building a more experimental aircraft
than  you perhaps think. I varied only infrequetly from the book, and then only
with  non-structural and "non-system" stuff.

I think if someone really wants to experiment a lot with his aircraft, and
more power to those who do, he must recognise that what is in the manual has
worked well in the past. Of course those of us who stick to the manual have of
course gained benefit from the experience of those brave souls who want to
reinvent the wheel.

Bob Wood
N658SE
250 hours flying