REFLECTOR: FUEL FEED [heur]

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Wed Feb 16 00:03:11 CST 2005

Ron Brown wrote:

> Tom,
>
> I don't think it is a good idea to vent the fuel system into the
> engine compartment, especially if you happen to flip upside down
> during a crash landing.  You will have lots of fuel draining out the
> vent system into the hot engine compartment.

Agreed.  I ended up with a sump vent to the top of the firewall that I
can cap off when sump is full.

> With the factory designed fuel vent line routed up to the top of the
> firewall then back down to exit the bottom of the fuselage, fuel will
> not leak out of the vent system when the airplane is upside down.

I think pretty much all canard vents are like that now.

> One other thought on uneven fuel flow, even if the vents are tied
> together and the plane is flying level/ball centered: there is a
> possibility that an air bubble trapped in the vent line with fuel on
> either side of the bubble can cause an uneven venting of the tanks.
> This wouldn't happen if the vent lines always slope upward to the
> manifold.  I think this may be the scenario that Jim Sower is seeing
> from time to time.

Nope.  That's the very first thing I fixed.  Actually, the builder had
wiped out his LG and had the Velocity factory fix it, and they left one
vent to the top of the right strake like it should be, and plumbed the
other through the fuselage side into the BOTTOM of the left strake and
thence up to the top of the left tank.  There was a permanent 7" column
of fuel in that loop.  It's the SECOND thing I fixed (after ensuring
that all the vent lines ran uphill to the top of the firewall).

> I have had it happen a couple of times on long trips after filling the
> tanks nearly full.  After landing and parking in my hanger, the fuel
> tanks were 5 or so gallons different and remained that way until I
> opened the fuel caps.  STRANGE!  Wings are level when parked in the
> hanger.  Another experiment - I placed a 2 x 6 under one main tire,
> simulating a wings down.  Guess what - the fuel level difference was
> MUCH LESS than I have seen in the air.

I did that too.  Full tanks will indicate full pretty much no matter
what.  Jack up one wing and the indications will shift immediately (high
strake will have fuel piled up near fuselage where the sender is and
will indicate more fuel than is there; low strake will have fuel piled
up outboard and lower level next to fuselage where sender is.
Eventually tanks may "even out".  But then again, they may not.

> But again, it could be fuel caps that are not always sealing perfectly
> for every flight.

But if you seal the caps with Al faced tape so there's no possibility
that they're leaking, and one tank STILL doesn't transfer,  then what?