REFLECTOR: FUEL FEED

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Tue Feb 15 23:42:41 CST 2005

Scott Derrick wrote:

> A leaking gas cap can cause uneven fuel flow but is not the prime
> culprit. A bit of fuel valve lube applied to the O ring once a year
> will insure this doesn't happen.
>
> A miss-rigged airplane is most likely the cause. Shim your rudders so
> the ball is right in the middle and you will get perfect fuel flow.

That's what I thought.  It's the first thing I did.  Leveled the
airplane w/laser level, checked the ball centered, flew a couple of test
hops and shimmed it to perfectly centered ball.  Had no measurable
effect AT ALL on assymmetric transfer.

> To test, be sure your turn and bank is installed correctly first,
> garbage in garbage out. Then fly, this is the fun part.. Once you see
> an uneven condition, press on the rudder that will put the ball in the
> middle. If you want to even up the tanks fast, press on the correct
> rudder so the ball is on the other side for a couple minutes, you'll
> see the fuel even up and even go into the opposite imbalance if you
> keep the rudder depressed. Then hold the rudder so the ball is
> centered, fuel will flow as it was designed to.

At full rudder deflection I was able to transfer maybe 1/2 gal / min.
Took 10 minutes to transfer five gallons (that was on a GOOD day.  Other
days it was less.

Sometimes nothing at all seems to work ... but I finally fixed it ... Jim S.