REFLECTOR: FUEL FEED

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Mon Feb 14 01:17:58 CST 2005

Tom,
My assymmetric flow drove me NUTS for nearly two years.  Almost always
the right tank would transfer but the left one wouldn't (on several
occasions it was the other way around).  I tried just about everything:
1.  Re-plumbed the vent system with larger lines.  Made it as
symmetrical as possible.
Nothing.
Blew into the vents to see if they worked OK.  They did.
Tested the gravity feed of each tank through the sump into bucket(s) and
timed each side from full to empty.  No significant difference between
tanks in gravity feed to empty.

2.  Shimmed the rudder(s) to ensure the ball was centered.
Nothing.
Sometimes, if I kicked in full rudder and flew in a max crab for about
10 minutes, the "reluctant" tank would get caught up a little.  Not a
viable solution, but some help when the "eager" tank was running low and
I really needed some fuel out of the reluctant tank.

3.  Sealed the fuel caps with several different products.
Nothing.
Taped over the fuel caps to totally seal them.
Nothing.

4.  Tried venting and not venting the sump tank
Nothing.

I went from pillar to post, trying everything anyone suggested (having
done nearly all of it on my own already).  No change.  Right tank got
down to 5 gal with left tank still indicating 20-25 gal.  There were
times when the left tank /looked/ like it was trying to transfer, but
didn't really.  That caused a flame out and I had to dead-stick out of
Canada to PHN in Michigan.  I couldn't get *anything* to work.

Finally, I acquired a couple of [JC Whitney] electric selector valves
and installed them between the strake and the sump as shutoff valves
(capping off most of the nipples).  Now I can DE-select the eager tank
and force the fuel pump to "suck" the fuel from the reluctant tank (this
will NOT work if the sump tank is vented).  I still get assymmetric
transfer, but I can fix it with the flip of a switch (the switch has a
feature that lights an amber LED on the panes whenever one of the valves
is closed.  I keep both tanks selected most of the time, and de-select
the right one periodically to keep things even.  They also make
convenient maintenance shut-offs.

I went after the problem in what I thought was ascending order of
difficulty:  carefully checking out the vent system and insuring it
worked OK,  checking rudder trim  and keeping the ball centered,
sealing the fuel caps (first with tape to see if it was an issue at all,
and then with various chemicals).

The selector valves were what I got down to.  Installed them when all
else failed.

Hope you have better luck ... Jim S.