REFLECTOR: FUEL FEED

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Sun Feb 13 15:07:32 CST 2005

Tom,

An easy way to check the fuel caps is to run a tube to the vent line and blow in it and then pinch the line off.  Spray the fuel caps with Windex or a solution of dish detergent and water.  If the caps are leaking you will get bubbles.

If the caps are leaking, use Vaseline on the O rings to improve the seal.  Also, there is an O ring on the cap's locking pin shaft.  You need to remove the nut and lube this O ring with Vaseline.   I also had to tighten my fuel cap locking nuts by about a 1/4 turn.  This should stop the uneven feed - unless you have a heavy wing - ball out of the center while in level, straight ahead flight.

Oh and yes, at least one Velocity lost fuel feed when one tank emptied up due to the fuel cap leak, with several gallons left in the other tank.

Ronnie