REFLECTOR: Re: Reflector Digest, Vol 9, Issue 36

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sun Feb 13 11:14:57 CST 2005

Chris,

My "guess" is, that if you have an "incorrectly rigged" airplane, as in
it will not fly straight(no slip or skid) and level(wings level) with
neutral controls,  you can use the NavAid to compensate for this out of
trim condition.

It would be better to adjust the rudders and or shim the wings to
achieve straight and level flight and use the wing leveler/autopilot as
it was intended.

I say this because it is difficult to hand fly an out of rig airplane in
IMC.  If you lost your autopilot and had to hand fly the airplane and it
was constantly fighting you to remain straight and level, would make for
a very high single pilot workload.

I think the plane would fly faster or more economically if it is
correctly rigged for hands off straight and level flight.

thats a guess....

Scott