REFLECTOR: Auto Pilots

Christopher Martin christophercmartin at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 13 02:05:12 CST 2005

You are right Kurt. I had forgotten that the NavAid does have the +/- input
for course tracking. And I did use it in that configuration for a while but
it tended to fly back and forth across the course. By adjusting the Garmin
430 in one of the set up panels I was able to boost the gain of the +/-
output as if it was constantly in terminal mode. But I was never very happy
with the way it tracked. The thing it was really missing was course
steering, course intercept and entry, course reversal and parallel course
tracking. For just a little bit more money you get a whole lot more with
the TruTrak.

Chris

Christopher Martin
christophercmartin at earthlink.net

that head piggy back wired to the Navaid auto pilot.
> Essentially, whatever you have dialed in to the 430 provides course
information to the head. That becomes the course information for the Navaid
Auto Pilot to follow. So the Navaid will track: VOR, Localizer, GPS
courses.

> While I am not flying quite yet, Navaid Devices, garmin, and the shop
that helped me wire all this says it should work fine. The only thing that
was mentioned is that if you are on a GPS course, and make a huge turn at a
point in the flightplan, The course tracking to the new leg may be a little
out of whack.

> This sounds like just what you have with the EZ-Pilot Chris. What am I
missing?

> By the way Al, I bought my TruTrak Altitude hold from Velocity. They gave
me a 5% discount and sent me an extra one of those elevator clamps (like
used in the pitch trim system). All you need after that is a piece of Angle
to attach the push/pull rod. I should finish up that installation pretty
soon.