REFLECTOR: Re: Reflector Digest, Vol 9, Issue 36

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Feb 12 16:14:15 CST 2005

Christopher Martin wrote:

> The Navaid is a simple and effective gyro stabilizer controlling a
> servo connected to your ailerons. That's why it is called a wing
> leveler. Turn it on and it will keep your wings level. It also has a
> trim adjustment to allow you to initiate and hold a wing angle,
> slightly off of level, such as 1 or 2 degrees off in order to
> compensate for wind. It's biggest draw back is that it does not follow
> a course.

Chris I think you may need to read a good book about how planes fly.  I
would suggest "Stick & Rudder" by Langewiesche

If we were flying west bound from ABQ to SFO and had a 10 knot wind from
the north, how would we compensate for the northernly wind trying to
blow us into Old Mexico?

You suggest above that I would need a constant bank angle done by your
handy NavAid, say 2 degrees right. How ever instead of ending up in SFO,
you will end up flying in a circle. Not really a circle but be assured
you will never ever reach SFO.   It could be a hundred mph north wind
and with a constant bank, be it 1 degree or 45 degrees the result will
be the same.  Round and round you go.

Scott